Launched in January 2019, Sects Sell is my weekly opportunity to explore a cult and experiment with a mid-century-ish, retro style of advertisement. New pieces are posted every Friday on this page and on Instagram – follow this and other work at @bridgetmakesstuff.
Like last week, the shading of this pieces is in done with a gouache procreate brush and mimics shading used by midcentury artists
Also like last week, I used the digital Gouache brushes from Retro Supply Co on Creative Market for all of the texture on this piece. (Full disclosure, like last week, I’m a new Creative Market partner, so I get a small portion of the proceeds if you purchase those brushes at no extra cost to you.)
Anyway I think it’s clear that my main inspiration was The Real World, a really …specific MTV program.
I was in my car, having just finished a podcast I will describe shortly in the Cult Inspo section of this blog post and the concept came to me, as if in a dream.
Guys! The Raelians! I did a version of this piece at the very beginning of this project — Lauren Hom recommend you have at least three done to launch a passion project — but I wasn’t in love with it. I hung onto it in case there was a week I couldn’t get it together to make one before Friday.
And THEN, I listened to the Oh No, Ross and Carrie! episodes about The Raelians and their annual conference and I was INSPIRED. The Raelians do so much weird shit! They have their hands in an unbelieveably long list of absurd projects including some you’ve probably heard of.
I’m gonna talk to them in relation to the shirts on the Rael World-ian’s in this piece.
- Far left: aliens. They believe in aliens. They love aliens. When they get baptize, their consciousnesses get transmitted to aliens in space. And I love the X-files.
- Second from the left: queers. The t-shirt is the symbol for bisexuality bc I’m bi — hollaaaa — and it’s a good fit for these folks because they’re pro LGBTQIA+ folks and poly folks and open marriages and basically whatever you’re tryna do in the sex and relationship department. At their conference they have colored bracelets to indicate what level of open they are to banging other attendees. This is exactly like the middle school fuck bracelets that the news was telling our parents were a thing! But real! And on consenting adults! What!
- Third from the left in the back row: that’s the symbol the Raelians use because their original symbol had a SWASTIKA in it!
- Center: The Elohim Embassy Annual Fundraiser. The Raelians are building an embassy for when the aliens roll in and the guy that’s in charge of planning, funding, and building it was selected because … he called Rael and asked if he could? Classic!
- Third from the right: a lady without a shirt on. The Raelians are at the forefront of the Free the Nipple movement, fam. Not only is gotopless.org a real website, it’s also a thing they really paint on their chests.
- Second from the right: Clonaid. The Raelians are very into cloning. They think it’s how humans are gonna become immortal. So they started a company called Clonaid. It’s registered in the Bahamas like all reputable science enterprises doing legit research primarily in Canada. A woman who – I’m sad to report – is named Brigitte claimed in the 90s that they cloned a baby named Eve. But Eve was born to a lady via C-section and nobody let anybody test any of the DNA.
- Far right: anti-war. The Raelians are big time peace protestors and that shirt is based on a real life shirt that said “NO WAR … ET WANTS PEACE TOO” with that punctuation.
Guys, this could not have been a more glorious journey and I am grateful you came on it alongside me.